Policy Number E032.670
Classification Specification - PURCHASING AND BUILDING PROJECT MANAGER
Reports to: Finance Coordinator
Salary Track: G-H
FLSA Status: Exempt
Responsible for purchasing and facilitating purchasing of materials, supplies, equipment and services necessary for the daily operation of the Library District. Solicits bids, analyzes prices received and selects or recommends suppliers. Purchases items and services or negotiates contracts at the most favorable prices consistent with quality, quantity, and other specifications. Monitors special contracts, such as insurance or banking, insuring that periodic bidding is performed. Completes routine work independently seeking advice on more complex issues.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Purchases "off-the-shelf" materials as well as those of a technical or specialized nature, including supplies, equipment, and services needed by the staff of the Library District.
- Through established procedures, requests bids, analyzes responses, and consulting with end user in selecting most favorable supplier based on specific criteria.
- Supervises and maintains purchase order control for non-library material related purchases reporting distribution of purchase orders to Coordinator of Finance and Support Services.
- Negotiates contracts determining allowable costs, monitors contractor compliance, resolves problems as they develop, and ensures satisfactory contract completion.
- Coordinates and /or facilitates specialized purchasing with Technical Operations (TO), Information Technology (IT), and other departments and branches, as needed.
- Reviews all major requests for purchase with Library Director, Deputy Director or Coordinator of Finance and Support Services, as required by policy, and proceeds as appropriate.
- Develops and maintains an automated data base of purchasing sources.
- Provides input and is responsible for compliance of the Library District's Operations Budget and specific budget line items.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Expedites orders with phone calls or visits to suppliers.
- May supervise a clerk/secretary in the purchasing of routine materials.
- Performs other related tasks as needed.
Personal computer, printer, copier, calculator, fax, automated phone system and other computer or business equipment.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have strong verbal and written communication skills, have knowledge of library operations, and be able to work independently. Must have BA/BS degree and two years related experience.