IT ILS/Database Administrator
Department: Information Technology (IT)
Reports to: Coordinator of Information Technology
Salary Track: I-J
FLSA Status: Exempt
Acts as principal developer and designer for District’s database and interactive systems, including ILS system (LISTEN2000) which is used in the daily operation of the library. Provide programming support for internal and third-party software applications. Evaluate possible plans of action and recommend proposed plans to IT coordinator. Analyze user specifications and requirements in order to determine scope and possible outcomes of actions. Encodes, tests, debugs, and documents programs on extremely complex projects.
Works independently on assignments with general instruction on results expected, recommending to IT Department Coordinator proposed plans for projects, and receiving guidance on unusual or complex issues. May serve as liaison with a variety of committees and organizations inside and outside the Library District system.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Performs the work of a turn-key system developer providing new products and features for the ILS.
2. Provides creative changes, enhancements, and "fixes" for the ILS system.
3. Analyze department needs, write programs to address needs, perform system tests and document application; communicate with user departments regarding software and hardware needs and concerns.
4. Write detailed flowcharts for programs and convert flowcharts to computer programs.
5. Test program adequacy and compile documentation on program development. Responsible for system-wide software maintenance and analyze, review, and modify programs to adapt to new requirements.
6. Confer with management to resolve questions of program intent and output requirements.
7. Maintain web-based user interface, telephony software used for reserve auto-calling and inter-system data transfers.
8. Determine the requirements for database software, ILS hardware, and other related upgrades.
9. Responsible for development and administration of Microsoft SQL Server databases used in conjunction with the district’s ILS.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
1. Act as lead person on large, complex projects, providing Programmer / Analyst(s) and others with direction and assistance.
2. Troubleshoot programming and equipment difficulties; correct or repair problems as requested.
3. Attend and participate in seminars, training and professional groups; stay abreast of new trends and developments in the field of computer programming.
4. Lifts IT equipment weighing up to 35 pounds; and accesses and connects cables/plugs on the floor, under desks, behind furniture, etc. as needed.
5. Perform other duties as assigned.
Desktop and laptop computers, printers, laser scanners and other computer and electronic equipment used for District communications, as well as District delivery van.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Must have strong communication skills and the ability to work independently or as part of a team. Must hold a BA/BS in a related field. (Under exceptional circumstances, relevant experience or training may be substituted for degree requirement.) Requires 2-4 years relevant professional experience or equivalent education. Must have experience in a three-tier architecture utilizing COM/DCOM and SQL Server databases. Knowledge of Visual Basic 6.0, VB.NET, C, ASP.NET, ADO.NET, IIS, HTML, XML and relational databases such as Microsoft SQL server required. Experience in database administration and Microsoft network and desktop environments required.
(Revision proposed 1/12/09)