Public Service Librarian
FLSA Status: Exempt
Salary Track: G-H
Reports To: Branch Manager
The primary responsibility of this position is delivering reference and programming services to the general public, with focus on adults and young adults. Additional duties may include collection development, readers’ advisory, technology training, and provision of off-site services. While the initial assignment is to a specific branch, staff in this position may be assigned to other locations as needed, per policy E496.
- Deliver general reference services to library customers in person, over the telephone and using email or other technologies.
- Contribute to the development and delivery of public programs and/or trainings.
- Assist with the selection and weeding of materials according to District policies to ensure the collection is current and that useful resources are available.
- Participate on special project teams focused on system-wide goals and programs.
- Mentor other staff in the branch, including paraprofessionals and new librarians.
- Carry out duties in accordance with the District’s Code of Ethics.
- Work cooperatively with all District staff in planning, developing and deploying new services.
- Promote library programs, special events and new general services, and participate in the marketing of the library collection.
- Participate in professional development and continuing education activities, including ongoing review of professional literature.
- Attend meetings of District staff as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Extensive knowledge of general library operations and library technology.
- Knowledge of basic information tools, both print and electronic.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite, Google tools or other general office software.
- Ability to interact pleasantly and positively with customers and staff, and work effectively as part of a team.
- Ability to contribute to the maintenance of department pages on the library website.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong technology skills, including the ability to learn new and changing technologies and
to problem solve using a variety of devices and systems.
- Ability to use the District’s mission, vision and values as the basis for sound decision-making.
Essential Physical Abilities (Accomplished with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Ability to lift materials or push or pull carts weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to stand or sit for long periods of time.
- Ability to reach high or low to review materials on shelves and move through aisles, if needed.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate well with staff and customers.
- Sufficient vision to review a wide variety of library materials, written correspondence, reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient personal mobility to attend meetings at various locations within the District.
Education and Experience
- Master’s in Library Science from an ALA-accredited program required.
- Prior library experience preferred.
Note: Part time Librarian positions shall be classified as non-exempt. This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.