Library Assistant I
Reports to: Circulation Supervisor
Salary Track: B
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Perform public service duties in the circulation area and respond to inquiries in person and by telephone. Responsibilities include using the automated/manual circulation system, performing light personal computer functions, and doing basic clerical duties of filing, and typing. Receive general supervision, performing routine tasks independently and referring complex questions and situations to supervisor.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Interact with customers in the library and by telephone concerning materials, circulation, reserves, and overdues.
- Utilize the automated/manual circulation system to check in and out materials, access customer record, etc.
- Calculate and collect fines and fees.
- Prepare library cards.
- Receive and record reservations for adult and children's programs in person and by telephone, including assisting with the Summer Reading Program.
GENERAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Empty and sort material from book drop.
- Sort mail, process periodicals, maintain vertical files and file materials.
- Reading shelves for lost items and mending books and materials.
- When appropriate, answer general reference questions for customers in the library and by telephone.
- Act as a back-up to reference staff and show customers how to operate equipment including the automated catalog and periodical index, Reader-Printer, and computer work stations.
- Use personal computer to enter magazine subscription information and to access WIN.
- Unlocking and locking the library; arming and disarming the security system, when necessary.
- Count cash drawers and prepare financial reports.
- Register voters.
- Other duties, as assigned.
Copier, telephone, word processor/personal computer/typewriter, reader- printer, automated catalog, electronic periodical index, coin change machine, desensitizer, building security system.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Required: Knowledge of public library function and purpose. Strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to file accurately. Mathematical accuracy and keyboarding skills. One (1) year related experience in public or customer service.
Preferred: Completion of two to four years of college. Prior library experience or experience with retail scanning or electronic equipment.
(Revision Approved 2/12/96)