Express Branch Supervisor
Reports to: Branch Manager
Salary Track: E
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
This position manages the daily operations of the branch with remote access to the Branch Manager. Participates in the hiring process for new employees and oversees the initial training period for new employees. Supervises branch employees; develops schedules, leads staff training programs, assigns project work to staff members and ensures the branch operates efficiently and according to the District’s policies. Works with the Branch Manager to resolve complex employee relations or public relations issues. Responsible for minor or routine building maintenance issues and security concerns. The Express Branch Supervisor is a working supervisor and must perform public service duties in conjunction with supervisory duties. Performs work independently with general instruction and broad directives.
- Participates in application screening and interviewing process for new hires.
- Oversees the on-site training program for new employees.
- Develops weekly schedule for branch employees.
- Monitors staffing levels to adequately staff during peak periods.
- Addresses employee issues such as: attendance, customer service, work habits.
- Approves employee timesheets and vacation requests.
- Works with Branch Manager to resolve serious employee issues.
- Completes performance evaluations and makes recommendations for salary increases.
Public Service Responsibilities
- Manages daily operation of the branch; circulation, collection, computer usage.
- Oversee all aspects of circulation: resolving customer accounts, compiling branch statistics, periodical subscription check in, material repair and cleaning.
- Responds to customer requests, suggestions, or concerns.
- Provides basic reference and reader advisory assistance.
- Responds to security alerts or emergencies within the building: water, fire, vandalism.
- Serves on committees within the District related to this position.
- Performs other related duties as assigned.
- Open and close the branch.
- Answer questions related to computer hardware, software, search engines or electronic resources, such as, e-readers.
- Respond to inappropriate customer behaviors in a safe and respectful manner.
- Create and maintain displays. Routinely weed the collection.
- Manage internal transfer of library materials.
- Process items that are not in the catalog (UPIs).
- Initiate Interlibrary Loan (ILL) requests for customers.
- Count, balance, and record fines. Count and balance cash drawers.
- Work closely with other departments to implement library programs and promotions.
- Manage the adult, teen and children’s summer reading programs in the branch.
- Recruit and train volunteers. Organize volunteer projects or assignments in the branch.
- Initiate and follow up on routine building repairs, maintenance items, or landscape items.
- Participate in community outreach programs .
- Extensive knowledge of general library operations and library technology.
- Ability to manage, train, and direct the work of branch employees and volunteers.
- General business skills: accounting, clerical, and understanding of work flow processes.
- Strong computer skills and ability to troubleshoot problems or answer customer questions
- Ability to use the District’s mission, vision, and values, as the basis for decisions made in management of the Express Branch’s programs and services.
- Ability to exercise initiative to achieve established goals and directives.
Essential Physical Abilities (Accomplished with or without reasonable accommodation)
- Ability to lift materials or push or pull carts weighing up to 30 pounds.
- Ability to stand for long periods of time at the circulation desk.
- Ability to reach high or low to return materials to shelves and move through aisles.
- Sufficient clarity of speech and hearing to communicate well with staff and customers.
- Sufficient vision to produce and review a wide variety of library materials, written correspondence, reports and related materials in both electronic and hard copy form.
- Sufficient personal mobility to attend meetings at various locations within the District.
Education and Experience
- Minimum five years in a public service or customer service capacity.
- Proven ability to perform the duties of a Library Assistant.
- BA/BS degree preferred.
- Prior supervisory experience preferred.
Note: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization.