Volunteer Position: Technology Lab Assistant
Purpose: The technology lab assistant directly engages our patrons by answering questions and assisting with computer basics, Internet access, word processing, spreadsheets, software programs and other technologies.
Location: Technology Training Room (Room 221) of the Spencer Road Library, 427 Spencer Rd., St. Peters, MO 63376.
Key Responsibilities: Assists customers in a one-on-one setting with general computer and technology functions, including but not limited to Microsoft Office, social networking, navigating the Internet, Tablet computers, eReaders and photo sharing.
Reports to: Volunteer Coordinator, or librarian on duty, at the Spencer Road Branch.
Length of Appointment: The appointment will be for 3 months initially, at which point we will evaluate the Open Lab Program for continuation.
Time Commitment: Two to three hours per week on Wednesday evenings from 6-8pm or Friday mornings from 9:30am-12:30pm.
- Basic comfort level with computer, software and internet functions
- Outgoing and comfortable approaching patrons and engaging in conversation
- Patience with new learners
- Ability to encourage computer/technology exploration and discovery
- Ability to spend time giving individual help to patrons
- Pleasant manner, flexibility, problem-solving ability, dependability
- Enjoy working with older adults and know how to create a fun and relaxed atmosphere
Support: Training/orientation for this position will be provided. A librarian will also be in the room during Open Lab time to provide help and supervision. Background check required upon acceptance into the volunteer program.
Age Requirement: 16 years or older
Dress code: Casual