Local History & Genealogy -

Local History Time Line

  • 1682 - (April 19) La Salle took formal possession of the Louisiana Territory for France.
  • 1763 Treaty of Paris - The Spanish obtained the LouisianaTerritory from France.
  • 1769 - Tradition holds that Louis Blanchette built a log cabin on the Missouri River at the future site of St. Charles. At that time the settlement came was called "Les Petite Cotes" which means little hills.
  • 1789 - Blanchette became the first of three commandants appointed by the Spanish. The residents of the area were still French in language and culture.
  • 1789 - Carlos Cardinal settled along the Dardenne River. This settlement became the village of St. Peters named after the local church.
  • 1790 - The first Spanish grant of "common fields" was made. Common fields were a French tradition whereby city owned fields were set aside for each head of family for farming purposes and additional land was set aside for common use for fire wood, building timber and pasture.
  • 1790 - John Coontz, a German from Illinois, began operation of a water mill
  • 1791 - The first church in Les Petite Cotes was dedicated to San Carlos Borromeo. The settlement became known as San Carlos del Misuri.
  • 1791 - Blanchette was named the commandant of the District of San Carlos
  • 1792 - First recorded marriage in St. Charles. John Baptiste Provost married Angelique Savanges on the 25th of September.
  • 1793 - Louis Blanchette dies
  • 1793 - Charles Tayon named commandant
  • 1796 - Francois Duquette, a French-Canadian, came to St. Charles. He established a wind mill, acquired land, and became a principal trader and merchant in the area.
  • 1797 - Population of the village of St. Charles consisted of 80 families.
  • 1797 -99 - Daniel Boone settled with his family on the Femme Osage Creek in what is today western St. Charles County.
  • 1798 - Jacob Zumwalt built a cabin in the O'Fallon area.
  • 1799 - Portage des Sioux was laid out by Francois Saucier. Because of its location at the confluence of the Missouri and Mississippi Rivers, it was considered and important location by the Spanish for a settlement and military post.
  • 1800 - Daniel Boone was appointed the commandant of the Femme Osage District
  • 1801 - First recorded assembly of the people. A meeting called to determine the question of fencing in the new addition to the commons.
  • 1802 - The Millington Brothers set up an operation for the manufacture of castor oil.
  • 1803 - Louisiana Purchase
  • 1804 - (March) Formal transfer of Upper Louisiana from France to the United States. San Carlos, part of the Louisiana Purchase, became a territory of the United States. The Spanish name San Carlos was anglicized to Saint Charles.
  • 1804 - (May) Lewis and Clark expedition left from St. Charles.
  • 1812 - The area of Missouri was organized as a territory and the old District of St. Charles was reorganized as one of the five original counties of Missouri.
  • 1815 - A treaty of peace was made at Portage des Sioux between the Confederate Tribes and the United States.
  • 1818 - The Academy of the Sacred Heart was established in St. Charles by Philippine Duchesne.
  • 1818 - Jean Baptiste Pointe du Sable dies and is buried in the Borromeo Church cemetery.
  • 1819 - A census for that year lists 981 whites, 124 slaves, and five free Negroes residing in St. Charles.
  • 1820 - Daniel Boone dies at the age of 86.
  • 1821 - Missouri entered the Union under the terms of the Missouri Compromise. St. Charles was designated as the temporary State Capital.
  • 1824 - Gottfried Duden settled near present Dutzow, wrote his observations on life in the area and upon returning to Germany, published his writings. The book aroused interest in St. Charles County and spurred a significant German immigration in the 1830's.
  • 1825 - St. Charles College was founded by Mrs. Catherine Collier and her son George.
  • 1826 - The State Capitol moved from St. Charles to Jefferson City.
  • 1827 - Lindenwood College was founded by Major Goerge S. Sibley.
  • 1829 - Gottfried Duden returned to Germany and published his book which encouraged emigration to the area surrounding St. Charles.
  • 1830 - St. Charles City was incorporated.
  • 1832 - A cholera epidemic hit St. Charles.
  • 1836 - The town of Mount Pleasant, later to be renamed Augusta, was laid out.
  • 1836 - The town of Foristell was laid out by J. A. Davis
  • 1836 - St. Charles College, founded by Catherine Collier, a Methodist widow, was opened.
  • 1837 - Elijah P. Lovejoy visited St. Charles to preach a sermon against slavery. A mob forced Lovejoy and his family to leave St. Charles the next morning.
  • 1839 - Cottleville was laid out by Lorenze Cottle.
  • 1843 - The town of Mount Pleasant changed its name to Augusta.
  • 1846 - St. Charles City organized a public school.
  • 1849 - (March 10) St. Charles was incorporated as the "City of St. Charles".
  • 1850 - The town of New Melle was laid out in 1850 by Franz Henry Porter. Emigrants from Melle in Germany gave it its name.
  • 1851 - St. Charles and Western Plank Road Company established. Its purpose was to build a toll road of wooden planks along Boonslick Road to the western part of the county.
  • 1851 - Spring Brewery was built.
  • 1854 - Portage des Sioux was incorporated.
  • 1855 - Augusta was incorporated.
  • 1855 - William M. Allen gave land to the railroad for a right of way and laid out the city of Wentzville.
  • 1856 - Nicholas Krekel arrived, opened a store, and named the area O'Fallon.
  • 1856 - The town of Howell, formerly known as Mechanisville was founded by Fortunatus Castlio.
  • 1861 - The St. Charles Company, a military unit comprised of 50 Union sympathizers was formed.
  • 1871 - The town of O'Fallon was laid out by John C. Edwards, W. C. Williams, Appleton Bradley, and Fred Mathews.
  • 1871 - The first railroad bridge to span the Missouri River was opened to traffic in May. It is now the Wabash Railroad Bridge.
  • 1872 - Wentzville was incorporated.
  • 1873 - St. Charles (railroad) Car Manufacturing Company was formed.
  • 1874 - The first railroad car rolled off the line at the St. Charles Car Company.
  • 1876 - A tornado struck St. Charles on February 27. Four persons were killed and over 150 buildings were damaged or destroyed including the County Courthouse, Jail and the Concert Hall
  • 1878 - St. Charles Opera House opens.
  • 1879 - A span of the Wabash Railroad Bridge gave way while a train was crossing the bridge. Eighteen cars fell into the river and five men were killed.
  • 1881 - The Wabash bridge again failed and 31 cars filled with cattle and freight fell into the river and sand below. The engineer was the only fatality.
  • 1884 - The Montana, a 252 foot long steamboat, lost power and crashed into the piers of the Wabash Railroad Bridge. No one was injured, but the boat was destroyed.
  • 1885- The first hospital was opened by the Sisters of St. Mary, it was called St. Joseph Hospital.
  • 1888 - Capt. John Enoch opened a pontoon bridge across the Missouri River at St. Charles. It was destroyed five months later by ice on the river.
  • 1904 - The first highway bridge between St. Charles and St. Louis County opened.
  • 1910 - St. Peters was incorporated.
  • 1912 - O'Fallon was incorporated as a city.
  • 1914 - The first St. Charles City library was organized by Kathryn Linnemann
  • 1916 - The 115 highway bridge catches fire and burns.
  • 1916 - A tornado hits St. Charles and destroys St. Charles Borromeo Catholic Church.
  • 1918 - St. Charles High School burns to the ground on February 14.
  • 1935 - A runaway train rammed a pier of the St. Charles Bridge causing a 40 foot span to drop to the street below.
  • 1951 - Flooding in the summer of 1951 took away part of the Old Rock Road. The people that worked at McDonnell Douglas had to drive out to the Daniel Bridge to go into work. The 115 St. Charles bridge was tempararly closed.
  • 1959 - Interstate 70 bridge (now Blanchette Memorial Bridge) opens.
  • 1966 - Lake St. Louis was founded.
  • 1973 - Flooding forces evacuation of West Alton and many areas along the Missouri River north of St. Charles.
  • 1975 - Lake St. Louis was incorporated.
  • 1978 - St. Charles Banner-News, a daily newspaper which had been published for more than a century, ceases publication.
  • 1992 - The Discovery Bridge connecting hwy. 370 to St. Louis County opens on December 16.
  • 1993 - The Missouri River crests at 39.6 feet, 14.6 feet above flood stage, on August 2.
  • 1994 - The new Clark bridge between St. Charles County and Illinois.
  • 1995 - Fire guts St. Charles High School on August 11.